three books

three books

Monday, 27 February 2012

just a thought

I've been giving a lot of thought to the concept of "personal iconography" and ways of introducing repetitive elements to painting. The obvious is to use printing techniques like stamps but on a large canvas they don't work all that well so I am exploring some ways of transferring prints to the canvas.
 I've been using the Golden Open and I'm really happy with the way it is working - all these are from the same run. When the paint started to tack I added a few drops of the Open thinner and carried on. I actually got bored with the image before the paint dried up. I coated the ones on white plexi with clear gloss. When it was dry I was able to peel them off and stick them to the canvas with more gloss.
"Opens" (pardon the pun) up some new opportunities for play. Of course there are far too many opportunities for play and I tend to deviate cheerfully from one of the tasks I have set for myself  during this little time out from the real world and that is developing stronger drawing skills. Off I go to do some sketching. Chickadees today!

No comments:

Post a Comment