three books

three books

Saturday, 18 February 2012

time on my hands

Time is such a marvelous thing. There is no such thing as too much time, in fact there is never enough even now that I am not devoting the better part of it to working. I was afraid that I wouldn't know what to do with all this time and instead I am making myself crazy trying to decide what to do first.
The first brilliant thing that started to happen as soon as I had time and energy to think at all was an overwhelming number of creative ideas began to bounce around in my brain. I was trying to do six things at once - several at home and more at the clay studio. None of them well since I was busy thinking about the next six things and, since the creative energy by far surpasses the physical energy I was frustrated by my inability to keep up with myself. How funny is that. I was also feeling guilty about not spending every waking moment looking for a new job so I was sifting through on-line search engines and ads, all the time worrying that I might find something right away and would not have the time to finish up all these projects. Crazy making stuff! As fate would have it there does not seem to be as many opportunities out there as I initially thought so I'm not sure whether to be relieved or terrified.
While I was fretting about the paintings and pottery I had started I knit myself a new scarf, made a couple of new necklaces, sorted all the family photos and filed them into a steel box, organized cupboards and closets, did some repairs and painting around the apartment and started scraping the old paint off of the brass knob plates on the closet doors. Does that sound compulsive?

Next week will be different. Although I will still divide my time between two studios and two very different mediums I have promised myself that I will try to do ONE singular project, or rather type of project in each. I really need to settle in to a direction in order to discover whether there is a possibility of self employment in the near future. That would be a truly marvelous thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment