three books

three books

Saturday, 31 March 2012

This is what I've learned

It's been an interesting week and this is what I have learned. First, there is almost nothing that doesn't eventually end up in a thrift shop. Last summer when we were redecorating the apartment we looked high and low for a round table no more than 32 inches in diameter. We almost bought a repro piece that was stupid expensive but I backed away because I was sure the real deal would come to us from a junk shop cheap. Finally gave up in the fall when we found a nice old harvest table. Wednesday I walked into Sally Ann and there it was, the EXACT table we were looking for $54.99. It was gorgeous but there is no room for it now so I walked on by. I probably should have bought it anyway but Daniel would have objected to being unable to get into the apartment, wah, wah, he's so unreasonable sometimes. Oh well, I left there kind of chuckling because of course you always find what you need when you don't need it anymore, it is the way of thrift shops. From there I went to the pottery studio to pack my bits for the last time because I decided not to renew my membership for next month. Much as I enjoyed getting muddy again  it was difficult to arrange time to be there and I really wasn't producing anything worthwhile. In fact I was really just playing and the only thing I really liked enough to keep was a series of terracotta spoons that have absolutely no practical purpose.
I realized finally, that I was actually reluctant to go there because I was only making stuff, mugs I didn't really need, bowls nobody really needs etc. - completely contrary to what I said I wanted to be doing which is to remake and/or to make stuff out of stuff that is already made. That made the decision easy and so there I was packing up my tools and things and chatting with the potter who was there to teach a children's class that evening. It turns out she is the maker of this amazing odd little man that I have been looking at for the past couple of months. She told me that she had made him for someone specific but was reluctant to send him because he had been over fired and was consequently "not perfect". I told her that he was indeed perfect and all the more interesting for the lumps and bumps that could not have been planned. I was certain that her friend would think so too and encouraged her to send him on. By this time I was done packing except for some clay, which I gave her so it wouldn't go to waste and my super deluxe banding wheel which I used to think I could not live without and now suddenly felt like a burden. It weighs a ton and takes up precious space in my too small studio. On impulse I gave her that too and she said, "that's it, you'll have to take the little man in trade then". For a second I almost felt guilty for doing her friend out of such a fabulously quirky piece but did that stop me from packing him up quick? Hell no! Here he is, artist: Tarrynea Biallecki
So that is the second thing I learned this week, reaching out to people, offering a bit of encouragement, a bit of spontaneous generosity - it is it's own reward. But sometimes you get the freaking prize too!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Sue but I'm truly sick with jealousy about the prize!

    ReplyDelete