three books

three books

Saturday, 14 April 2012

one of those

I am having one of those weeks. It zipped on by and I felt like I was super busy but then someone asked me what I'd been up to and I realized I hadn't actually accomplished a thing of worth. On the other hand I made some interesting discoveries about wax techniques so even if the actual pieces are crap they did teach me something so all is well. This one has some embedded wire and a print on mulberry paper that worked very well. I used the golden open instead of ink. The wax soaked right into the paper and it seemed to disappear but the paint was unaffected so it is just happily floating in there. It was a good one to start with because it sits on my shelf to remind me that I do have everything I need and I have to stop procrastinating by running out to fetch this or that.

I like the fact that the added elements are super stable and so I could keep right on adding, subtracting and generally messing about with impunity. The same cannot be said about this other process which is an series of ink transfers on to the wax using magazine photos. It creates some interesting effects, and I have seen some nice stuff done with it but you have to plan ahead because the ink is just sitting on the surface and is very delicate. Too much heat or rubbing and it's gone.
I also learned that I can't avoid putting the damar resin into the beeswax. I was really hoping to get away with it but these processes just don't work as well on the pure beeswax. It is just too soft on its own and a bit sticky. You can see on the crappy little one below that that the oil stick won't wipe off very cleanly. Next up are toner transfers which I was going to try this evening. Or, I could do something useful and get some more stuff ready for the yard sale we are having tomorrow morning. Hmmm. Toner transfers it is!

1 comment:

  1. You are on a learning curve! It's very interesting for me to follow along without having to work with the damar myself. See you soooooon!

    ReplyDelete