three books

three books

Monday, 21 May 2012

Decisively indecisive

The last of the furniture revamps sold last week and I've been out on the hunt for some more items to play with. It is getting harder and harder to find anything interesting at the thrift shops and their prices have gone mental on anything that smells moldy enough to be truly old so when I do spot a gem it's quite exciting. This little cutie was upside down on top of a heap of god knows what and I almost missed it.
It is an honest to goodness icecream chair that was dressed in a nasty bit of "dusty rose" coloured velour fabric probably some time back in the seventies when the continent was being painted that colour. Shudder. Fortunately it isn't a difficult thing to re-cover the seat and the rest of it was perfect, including just the right amount of chipping in the paint to make it interesting. When I got it home and stripped off the velour, there was the original black naugahyde in really good condition. Then I was stumped. I had thought that I was going to experiment with using an old painting to re-cover the seat but it looks so darned good in it's original state that I was hesitant to mess with it. Yikes, I'm so indecisive these days. I decided  I need a concrete plan for breaking through these little impasses and I came up with one - I will decisively allow the universe to make the decision for me. I listed it for sale on Craigslist and if it finds a home as is, okay. If not, then clearly it is meant to be playtime in the studio. Does it matter even slightly - nope - not even to me, so isn't that an interesting lesson? Aside from all the philosophical ponderances that come to mind regarding the acceptance of kismet, going with the flow, taking the path of least resistance etc. I have to admit that the term that comes to mind is somewhat less elegant but no less profound, "don't sweat the small stuff".

1 comment: