three books

three books

Saturday, 12 May 2012

homage to the ladies

A while back I came across a little book of post cards called "The Quilts of Gee's Bend". It caught my eye because my sister was madly quilting at the time but this was quilting unlike anything I have ever encountered. Having grown up in Ontario I am very familiar with the Amish and Mennonite quilts and I do admire them, they are lovely and structured. The ladies of Gee's Bend don't make 'em like that. I guess they make them any way they want to now because they sell for thousands of dollars but the originals of these were done of necessity and with materials at hand, literally rags and scraps, that came together in joyous combinations to make practical, usable art. Here's an excerpt from one of the articles I found:

Mary Lee Bendolph began work on her first quilt at age 12, in her hometown of Gee's Bend, Ala.

"I was 13 years old when I finished." says Bendolph, now 73. "We ain't had nothing to work with to make it, is the reason why it took so long. Every time I got a little piece of something. I'd put it in".

That is both amazing and humbling to me and it re-enforces once again, my commitment to using up every scrap of material stashed in this little studio of mine. I hauled out a couple more cradle boards that had been abandoned along the way and waxed on some scrap paper from my stash of trash (stuff that would have hit the bin at work if I hadn't rescued it) I let the leaf motifs in the paper direct the application of coloured wax and "stitched" the pieces together. Not so bold of colour as the ladies examples but true to the spirit because, that's what I had to work with.

Go be inspired at the link below.
https://www.google.ca/searchq=Gee's+bend&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Th-vT5fsOsqJiALUipmuBA&sqi=2&ved=0CIkBELAE&biw=1600&bih=749

No comments:

Post a Comment