three books

three books

Friday, 8 June 2012

Busy busy

My lovely artist friend Carole http://carolereidartist.blogspot.ca/ has graciously invited me to tag along when she opens her studio to the public on June 23rd and 24th for the Nanaimo Summer Art Walk. So, I've been madly working away at completing this little series of stitchery inspired pieces for the event. I confess that I have become quite maniacal about using up/reusing and re-purposing material and so far, aside from wax, the only things I have had to purchase "new" are picture wire and clips for hanging. I can't remember when I have had so much fun in the studio. It goes without saying that time has been a major factor - it is brilliant to have the time to putter and ponder almost daily. Without that time I don't know that I would have ever come to the place I am at now and never made the mental shift from "what do I need to do what I want to do?" to "what have I got that will do what I need it to do?" One of today's picture posts is a prime example. I have some frames that came to me either cheap or free because they were odd sizes. I thought I sometime I would have them re-cut to standard sizes and so they have been collecting dust for a while. I also have some small  cradle boards that I thought I would need to buy frames for. One small eureka moment later one of each came together in what I think is an interesting combination. I liked the effect so much I have a couple more prepped for painting. But, before I get to those I have to finish the test tile pieces I had begun so this week has been devoted to patch and paste (with wax). When I finished the larger one I thought maybe I was done with that little mania but almost immediately after that thought came an idea for "just one more".
Back to chopping patches.
deconstructed icons 8x10

Waxed back board makes it 11x11
second sample board 16x20















No comments:

Post a Comment