three books

three books

Sunday, 8 July 2012

Inspiration

I haven't been able to get much done in the studio for the past couple of weeks but I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I'd like to do next and that led to thinking about the nature of inspiration and then the inspiration of nature. Sometimes that happens in a very direct form, see something - paint it.



Okay, you caught me, it's not the same nest but you get the idea. Today however, while adding pages to this blog, I had a chance to look at some older works and realized that what I really enjoy is when I have somehow managed to maintain the feel of a visual cue long enough to capture a tiny portion on canvas or board. There is such satisfaction in those pieces that conjure up a memory of something, be it person, place or thing, that may or may not have ever actually been. One example is this over sized canvas that I painted when I'd just returned from a trip along the Oregon coast. The man who bought it asked me what had been my inspiration and when I told him he turned to his wife and said "I told you it was Oregon". The fact is, it wasn't a specific place along those dunes, only a memory of the feeling of being there. It is not accurate in any detail and yet it took us both back to a place and time in our separate experiences.


1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm Oregon! I have wonderful memories of Oregon.
    Now I'm off to see your pages! xo

    ReplyDelete