three books

three books

Friday, 20 July 2012

more fun with DIY

I remember the day, many years ago when I discovered that homemade salad dressing takes about five minutes to make and tastes worlds better than most bottled versions. It was a revelation to me, having been raised to believe that Kraft invented the stuff and held the secret formula. It also taught me a lesson that seems to be reasserting itself regularly lately - there are no secret recipes any more. Thanks to the global community we live in there is little information that is not readily accessible. So, when I ran out of modeling paste this afternoon, instead of walking to the art store for a fresh supply I went to the computer instead. Sure enough someone had figured out what it was made of and darned if it isn't the very same thing that makes chalk paint - chalky (see early post "I love Annie Sloan"). Again, I don't know what the exact composition of say, Golden modeling paste but who cares? I discovered that I can make my own by adding calcium carbonate to mat gel and I can make it any consistency I want to suit the job at hand. Five minutes to  luscious goodness. Too funny.

Because it is very porous, it can be used under wax also.

Why I never thought of making my own before now I don't know but I do know that I will be experimenting with DIY texture gels, fibre gels, bead gels...hmmm, I wonder what dog fur looks like in gel?

2 comments:

  1. Sue, you're a chemist/artist! Add some dog fur and see what happens! I'm collecting bunny and cat fur so you should collect dog fur! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! It is great to know...especially when I live so far from a store!

    ReplyDelete