three books

three books

Monday, 27 August 2012

catching up and moving on

More than a week gone by in a flash which always seems to happen in summertime. Especially as we near the end of it and I am desperate to be out and about every possible moment. The husband took a three day weekend and we had fun poking about the fair on Friday. It was my first and likely only trip to the PNE since I am not especially fond of games, rides or gross fair food. I do like the animals but I always feel sorry for them and it makes me sad to see them penned and pinned with tags in their ears. I took some pictures of some particularly pretty cows and thought I would draw them but then I realized that I wanted to draw them looking happier and that is a weird kind of denial - wanting to alter reality by drawing it differently. Okay, maybe it's not such a bad idea. In fact I think I do that all the time anyway.
Sunday we went to a huge flea market in Cloverdale. We found a gorgeous strawberry pitcher for my fruit and veggie collection and a lovely brass pig to go with Daniel's hare. That made it worth the trip.

Earlier in the week my lovely friend Carole http://carolereidartist.blogspot.ca/ was in town and we went along to the Vancouver Art Gallery to see the Cone sisters collection. Lots of lovely Matisse and more, more, more. http://www.vanartgallery.bc.ca/the_exhibitions/exhibit_collecting_matisse.html It was brilliant and by the time we were done I felt like I had been dipped in colour. Neither one of us could be bothered to look at anything else for a while. Too much richness to take in all at once. Of course we wandered through the gift shop on the way out but the only thing I bought was a postcard of a Matisse portrait called The Blue Eyes. Not because it is one of his more spectacular ones, it's quite quiet actually, but because the pose is particularly intriguing. It seems a little awkward and yet, just right. I am always drawn to that quality of just a little off. So, as part of a new resolution to do a drawing a day (nearly every day) I imagined one of my ladies in that pose and did a quick little cartoon. I liked her so I decided to make a transfer to lino and let her evolve.



1 comment:

  1. Sue, wow, I got as far as hanging mine on the cabinet! I love how you got to it, did it, and then made the booklet with it! xo

    ReplyDelete