three books

three books

Saturday, 11 August 2012

Mini Books

Mini books were the theme of this week's drawing challenge, hosted by Norma at the Fairyyellowbugqueen.  It's been a very long time since I have made any sort of book so I spent a very cheerful afternoon getting re-inspired.
First I made a simple little stitched book of zebras inspired by a carved wooden bead that has been on my fridge for years. This one is about 2 x 2.5 inches, made to fit into a little box that needed a use.


While working on that one I cam across a series of lino cuts that I did years ago and used in a variety of ways including a series of greeting cards. I've always enjoyed these little ladies so I decided to make them a photo album. No good reason.


Then, because I was on a roll, I decided to reduce the pick up prints I'd done earlier in the week to wee size so I could make them into one of those clever little fold up books.



I'm looking forward to being further inspired by seeing what the other participants in this week's challenge have done. See Norma's blog for a list and links to the rest - http://thefairyyellowbugqueen.blogspot.ca/



13 comments:

  1. SUE HUTCHEN.....these are brilliant wee books! Really sad I missed this week's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a stunning effect to a fold up booklet! grand!
    the mini photo album looks truely right as well. the ladies have a ball, reunited like this...
    you have been busy, producing three projects all at once!! my.
    n♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. you got truly inspired Sue, looove your birds in black and white,beautiful dappled background,
    and your ladies, do i spot a lizard there,lovely, x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sue,
    I LOVE your little birds book! That b/w illustration is printed? Lovely birds and even the Ladies I can peep looks great with red lipstick on!

    See you next weekend?
    x Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a fun challenge and yes, I'm already pondering playing cards. See you on the weekend.

      Delete
  5. WOW! I like this little zebra book and I LOVE your tiny little bird book - it looks so phantastic! How did you print them?
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They are simple "pick ups". You may call it by a different name. You roll out a very thin layer of block printing ink, put down some paper and draw or trace a design with a stylus. Whatever you touch will pick up ink.

      Delete
  6. so tiny books - the little birds are so great! I love the zebras and the ladies , too! great work! :-) mano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was your fabulous little art boxes that inspired the zebra, thank you.

      Delete
  7. Your little book of birds is so charming. A perfect subject for a wee book.
    I have yet to make a book in this style, the folded style. Must try.
    And the zebra/lino cut book, fantastic!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh m' gosh Sue these books are a treasure trove of completely exciting delicious inspiring (I want to sit down and start some immediately) little books. They are all so different and all so exciting I am just going to have to come and visit them again and again. It's like a little imaginary art library on this one post. I am completely in love with the little book in a box with the 3-D figure in front. I MUST DO THIS!!! Do you mind if I make something similar? It makes my stomach lurch to see this mini installation.
    Speaking of a lurching stomach, it is also lurching at the pick up copies bird book you made. I need some alcaseltzer (sp?) or at least a cup of tea to calm down. Gosh your art is exciting. And those lino cut ladies...oh stop me now from gushing all over this screen. Love your work to bits, bits, bits. *smiles* Norma, xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you must do one for yourself, I can't take credit for that idea at all. I was inspired by Mano and her gorgeous art boxes. Go be re-inspired at Mano's World http://manoswelt.blogspot.ca/

      Delete
  9. Oh that last little fellow, tilting its head at me - how sweet. Good work, Sue! -sus

    ReplyDelete