three books

three books

Friday, 7 September 2012

Plover Lover

Time spent in the studio these past few months has been an exploration of technique and materials with new discoveries of one kind or another almost every day. Sometimes it is just a neat little trick like the waxed prints on these cards. I have always enjoyed lino cuts and the way they simplify an image into positive and negative fields. I like working with water based inks because they are a lot less environmentally nasty and clean up so quick and easy. What I did not like was the fact that the finished print remains water soluble and can be so easily damaged so I have been exploring various ways to stabilize them so they could be used on touchable things like cards. I found that they can be dipped in wax without shifting the ink and it seals them perfectly. I can also layer on extra bits and glue them on with wax, instant collage. Just for fun I stitched some of them on to cards - by hand because my beastly old sewing machine simply refuses to stitch the waxed paper. That is a challenge for another day.
I also started a book a week project a couple of weeks ago to learn various styles of stitching and folding. This week the project was a snake book. Some old and some new linocuts came in handy.
So what gives with the birds, birds, birds? I love birds! All kinds of birds. They are fascinating little creatures. Every time I think I am done with them they find me again. Like the little chickadee that followed Boo and I for a time on our walk this morning, flitting along the wrought iron fence beside us. Did I have my camera - no - of course not. A fact I am certain he was aware of or he wouldn't have stayed with us so long.

2 comments:

  1. I love birds too! yours are so cute - and the little book is fascinating! my fav is the black-and-white birdie on the first picture! :-) mano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my little plover loving friend I love what you've been up to! I'm guessing you used clear wax to dip these cards in.....very clever! What would happen if you used coloured wax? If you had had your camera you may have been so focused on getting a good pic you may have missed the moment! Love all your birds and the way you explore! xo

    ReplyDelete