three books

three books

Monday, 22 April 2013

Recovering Control Freak

I was out walking the Boo last night when I happened to notice a fellow pull up and park his car right on the corner of the street we were approaching. He was blocking the sidewalk but not, I should mention, my path since we were on the other side of the street. Never the less I had this almost uncontrollable impulse to point out his misdemeanor. Seriously, the words almost flew out of my mouth, "hey, you can't park there", as if he may not have noticed that very large and vivid NO PARKING sign beside his car or maybe couldn't tell that the arse end of his car was blocking the clearly defined pedestrian walkway. Honestly, you would think I had some kind of vested interest in this total stranger who may or may not get a ticket for his transgression and/or who may or may not inconvenience someone I don't know by causing a rift in the natural flow of pedestrian traffic in a quiet residential area in the middle of the night.
Ostensibly I was trying in some weird way to be helpful whether to him or to some other complete stranger I'm not sure but on another level I'm pretty sure I was simply incensed at this guy's complete disregard for the rules. I had to laugh out loud at my ridiculous attachment to something so clearly out of my control not to mention completely unimportant.
So, my lesson for the week - the Art of Allowing - in Zen philosophy there is a whole lot more to it then simply learning to keep your mouth shut but I'll start there and maybe I can stretch it to being a little less attached to potential outcomes by Wednesday and non-judgmental by the end of the week.


4 comments:

  1. Ha, zip that mouth shut! Have fun. xo Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this post. Had I been there, you would have had to hold me back, too. Maybe you should patent that lip zipper!!!

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll call it the "lipper" and have it available in fashion colours.

      Delete
  3. There is a fine line for me between wanting to allow things to happen and to caring about outcomes for all. Sometimes yes it is best to just be quiet. I hope the rest of your week went as you were hoping.

    ReplyDelete