three books

three books

Saturday, 13 April 2013

Beauty eh?

This week's drawing challenge, hosted by Nadine of tiny WOOLF is Beauty. And a ponderous one it is. While walking the Boo a couple of days ago I was admiring the glorious gardens in the chi chi part of town as we walked down block after block of blossoming trees. At a high point I stopped and looked out over the city.  The sun was sparkling on the water in English Bay and beyond that the snow capped mountains against a clear blue sky. This time of year Vancouver shines and I think it must be the most beautiful place on earth but photos can never fully capture this glory so I shifted my focus to smaller things.
My sister has a pillow on her couch that says "all things are beautiful if you love them". I noticed it when I was there visiting a couple of weeks ago and it stuck with me because I brought home from there a gift of an old grate Maggie had found and saved for me. She knew I would love it and I do. As I sit here looking at my mantle I can see it mixed in with a variety of objects that are beautiful to me - a mermaid weather vane, a candle stick made from a broken chair leg, another on some brass thingy that I have no idea what it was originally, a chunk from an old door, some salt glazed bottles, a couple of ducks and so on.


Beauty really is an ill defined and completely subjective concept so when I tried to figure out what all these things have in common the only term I came up with was sincerity. When it come down to it there is an honesty to all the things that I love, with all their bumps and flaws - I think that may be applied to people too.  It is also the reason I continue to be enthralled with the process of encaustic. My most recent piece could have been done in acrylic in an afternoon and it would have been clean and precise. Instead it took me three days and the surface shows every scratch and scrape. It is a little nasty and flawed and as nearly perfect as I will ever come to producing true beauty.


But then you have to ask what, if anything, is "true" when it comes to beauty? I did a little poking on the internet and stumbled across this caption that has been showing up in public washrooms for a while now. I don't know who to attribute it to but I hope they don't mind my adding an image and passing it along as food for thought.

Have a BEAUTIFUL weekend all and visit the tiny WOOLF's blog  http://woolfenbell.blogspot.ca/ for more pondering on this weeks drawing theme. 

13 comments:

  1. LOVE the new encaustic piece, Sue! It truly is a thing of beauty, especially with its bumps etc. Pondering the mirror image and thinking lately I've been shocked by what I see looking back at me. The publice washrooms you frequent are way more interesting and thought provoking in Vancouver than here! xo Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should start a campaign to make them more entertaining don't you think?

      Delete
  2. screamingmimis!!!! i'd only forgotten to add your name to our list of players. SORRY! have just now fixed that lapse...

    funny you should mention sincerity in your second §, because it is exactly what rose up in my soul as i viewed the objects on your mantle, which you so lovingly describe. interesting too, the encaustic and you, and yes, understandable. that piece you have made is meaningful!

    i love how your mind wanders though... i also wonder if that quote will make it to ours, who knows? it is giving me some food for thought indeed... i'd love to find out who first quoted this, it could be old, no? go back to the roman times? 'sounds a bit aurelius' style too, don't it? ;)))
    thxs for playing, sue!
    n♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was an interesting and challenging challenge.

      Delete
  3. love the second image
    the words, how it's made
    just all of it
    that i sbeauty
    to me

    thank you!
    love
    Patrice A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found that this challenge made me think quite a bit about how to define beauty. I'm still putting thoughts and images together, so my post will be late, but I quite like your image and its sentiment.

    The sun is out and the day is undeniably beautiful. About that, I have no doubt! Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love your grate, and your collection on your mantle. Beauty all around... just need some time to see it. Beautiful creation as well. Great (grate) post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I smile, Sue! Have a beautiful week, sus

    ReplyDelete
  7. me too, I smile, lovely interesting post, nice that you share it with us to get to know you better!
    x Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's not difficult for me to see beauty in the things on your mantle piece, i love all things weathered and you describe it so well 'sincere',
    your encaustic work...love it, i would hang it in my house immediatly :)
    and the cartoon, awesome, a great message in a world where we are much to often dictated how to look,

    enjoyable post dear Sue, xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sincerity seems a close cousin to simple in the context of beauty to me...It is simple AND it is sincere and honest. It just occurred to me that it is also free. As in when you stopped for a moment to notice the city. And the pillow. And the mirror message. Maybe all we need to do to see the beauty [for free] is to just stop and breathe. I like that. I like your post. N, xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stop and breathe is always good advice. Thank you

    ReplyDelete