three books

three books

Saturday, 4 May 2013

Burlesque


The theme of this week's drawing challenge, proposed by Tania http://tastie74.blogspot.ca/ is a cheeky one (pardon the pun) - burlesque. I admit I was stumped. I tried first to do a cartoon of the queen of burlesque - Gypsy Rose Lee but she turned out cute and I'm sure the lady would have slapped my silly for portraying her that way. Then my sigot suggested that I look up the actual definition of burlesque. I discovered that it had little or nothing to do with what Hollywood had led me to believe. Why should I be surprised?
Noun
A parody or comically exaggerated imitation of something, esp. in a literary or dramatic work.
Verb
Cause to appear absurd by parodying or copying in an exaggerated form: "she struck a ridiculous pose that burlesqued her own vanity".
Synonyms
noun.  parody - travesty - caricature - skit
verb.  parody - mock - travesty - mimic


That sent me off in another direction that wasn't nearly as fun so I came back to audacious women and that led me back to the Mimis. I gave this one some gold stars because we all need a little approval (especially while strutting our stuff).



That seemed a natural segue to the books I have recently read by author Sue Bender and a quote that struck me solidly when I read it, "Maybe one of these days I'll be able to give myself a gold star for being ordinary, and maybe one of these days I'll give myself a gold star for being extraordinary - for persisting. And maybe one day I won't need to have a star at all."

My mimis are strong women and they don't need no stars to prove it so take it off Mimi, take it ALL off.

See Tania's blog http://tastie74.blogspot.ca for more participants in the weekly challenge.

9 comments:

  1. I love your strong Mimi, Sue, and her gold stars!
    -sus

    ReplyDelete
  2. the story adds to the image, as always, at yours. and that suits you and {the} mimi{s} very well. no stars! for sure!! ;)))
    n♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a very bold mimi....I love the framing of this artwork and those stars are very distracting!

    fab!

    Helen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that attitude, strong and self-confident! I love your Mimi, she's wonderful! I'd hang her on my wall at once! And the words, as Nadine said, add true depth to your work!
    I also enjoyed experiencing your approach to that theme. It's so interesting to find out about the development of ideas, that finally lead to a culminating point.
    Fantastic support, Sue, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this one, she looks so strong and sexy at the same time. Her lips and the stars just make it more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool, the Lips and Stars...so simple but so impressively,
    ♥ your artwork,
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  7. like you i started with
    looking up what burlesque really means
    i had ideas and plans but no time ;^((
    you made a beautiful linocut (?)
    i LOVE your strong Mimi
    with or without stars ;^))

    love
    Patrice A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stories behind these images of burlesque are as marvelous as the images themselves. Two gold stars, not because you need them, but because you deserve them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you worked your way through the theme and result, that very special linocut, which reminds of a famous german expressionist (Kirchner), very unique!
    love Barbara
    P.S. May I invite you to the next dc, where I am the hostess this time? I would be very happy!

    ReplyDelete