three books

three books

Saturday, 13 July 2013

The Tao of Boo






 For the past month I have been entirely engrossed in writing my first book and I have to say that it has been one of the most exhilarating experiences I have ever had. I enjoyed every part of it right up until now, this moment when I am challenged with the task of actually trying to sell it to a publisher or find an agent willing to take the time to look at it. Most of them will not accept unsolicited manuscripts and justifiably so I expect since everyone and their aunt Nellie would be sending in their musings if they could. Ah well, I'm sure if it is meant to be there will be a someone out there to connect to and, in the meantime, I am basking in the warm glow of a completed project that has thus far amused and delighted my family and friends. I will also share a bit about it here before I climb down from the stratosphere and get back to work in my studio where another jumbo canvas awaits completion.

I call it The Tao of Boo. It is a true story of transition and growth - with cartoons!
Any of you who have been with me over the past year know that I had to give up my day job for health reasons and find a new path. I was blessed with the opportunity to work in my studio every day and explore a wide range of techniques and materials. During that year (and a bit) I've had a lot of time to ponder over things and make adjustments to a new stage of life.

Those of you too young to have experienced a massive hot flash that soaked straight through your clothes and plastered your new perky hairdo to your forehead while being introduced to the new boss/client/sexy new neighbor will not need to read this book. And if you have not yet reached a period where your life feels like it is spiraling out of control or suddenly realized that absolutely nothing you are doing at this point in time is the slightest bit meaningful to you - you're still okay. But, if you have reached that moment when you recognize that your time on this earth is more than half over and you are thinking "shit, I wasn't paying attention", I wrote this book for you - for all of us who have reached that third stage of life without directions on how to face changing times and aging with grace, humour, compassion and cheerful acceptance.

The anecdotes touch on Buddhist philosophy, Jewish wisdom, Amish simplicity and some Boo-isms to make statements about simplifying, learning to like yourself, stretching, growing and remembering how to laugh, at everything.



I'll let you know if the publishing gods smile upon it and make it available some time in the future. In the meantime I'm already cooking up ideas for the next one. It was so much fun!




2 comments:

  1. Why not self publish? You've made it this far!! Congratulations on making it this far!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - sounds great, and way to go in just doing it. CONGRATULATIONS!! Be proud of yourself! Very proud!!

    ReplyDelete