three books

three books

Saturday, 29 March 2014

Weekly DC

I have been fading in and out of blog consciousness over the last couple of months but this weeks drawing challenge from Patrice http://patriceaarts.blogspot.ca/ caught my eye. The theme is WATER and I love water. I love drinking water, cold, I love soaking in water, hot, and most of all I love poking along the Ocean shores anywhere. So while I was pondering what I was going to do for this challenge I knew it was something from the sea that would come and it did, in the odd form of a old poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - The Tide Rises, The Tide Falls - The twilight darkens, the curlew calls... find it here if you like. http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/tide-rises-the-tide-falls-the/
Reading it you can almost hear the cadence in a deep sonorous voice rolling over you like ocean waves. Delicious. But I didn't feel like making it oh so serious so I decided to have a bit of fun with pop ups.
Funny, the entire poem fit on there perfectly.
 
And then, because I wanted also to express the reverence I feel in the presence of the ocean I pulled out an old painting, one that is quiet and sedate and really not all that very special but one that has never been for sale because just a glance at it reminds me of the deep blue sea and it's wonderful calming effect.
 
Thanks so much to Patrice for this great challenge, go visit her blog (see link above) for a look at all the other participants this week.

9 comments:

  1. Hi, Sue, Thanks for stopping by and leave me your words.
    I like your painting. one thinks that a descriptive painting of the sea, should be tumultuous. movement, waves that come and go.
    And your painting is serene, shows a sea of tranquility, almost motionless. and comes to my mind, the idea that, not may only be saltwater seas. there may be calm ideas seas, calm feelings seas, seas of silence...
    Congratulations! good week for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, that painting is truly wonderful by its minimalism, therefore force. i like it! n♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for passing by. Nice choosen combination of poem, pop/up and painting, Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Sue - This painting does capture that DEEP blue ocean feeling. I would like to see the little book up close!
    Happy week, sus

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the texture, peacefulness and deep blue color of your painting:) Leena

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful poem and a great blue ocean!
    :-) mano

    ReplyDelete
  7. the sea is an inspiration that is easily identified with- your painting is a great example- it is instantly a body of water with depth even though it is a 2-D piece- I love that contradiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like your first work
    that little sailingboat on top
    butthat second one....
    i totally understand why it has never been for sale
    i wouldn't sell it! it's wonderful!!!!

    thanks for participating!
    x
    Patrice A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so fun to see your pop up book. makes me want to start working on something for my grandson's first birthday.

    i also find your painting to be wonderful and calming.

    ReplyDelete