three books

three books

Thursday, 14 January 2016

Rhythm beats the Blues



I had a visit from some island friends last week which was terrific fun and just what I needed to perk me up from my January doldrums. That got me thinking about the importance of human connections and a little blip I wrote on the subject a while back. Connections are a lot about family and friends of course but it goes even further than that to recognizing that even brief and casual contacts with complete strangers can have enormous impact either positively or negatively. I can think of a time or two when someone's unreasonable behavior caused me grief but here is a better story.

I was in the paint store one morning pondering this colour over that one for my dining room when suddenly from the next aisle over, a man burst into song. "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine..."When he trailed off after the "please don't take my sunshine away" I couldn't resist countering with, "ain't no sunshine when she's gone..." which got a big chuckle out of the spontaneous crooner and his painting partner who joined in with a hip swing and a hearty, "I know, I know, I know, I know..." and you know I'm still chuckling about that - bet they are too.

And speaking of happy connections, this is in response to Veronica Roth's drawing challenge this week - veronicaroth.com and it happens to coincide with the weekend promotion of my first book -The Tao of Boo - on Amazon ebooks this weekend. 

Download for free from Friday, January 15 to Sunday, January 17th. It's a light and amusing rant about life, and strife (with cartoons!) Get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tao-Boo-Sue-Hutchen-ebook/dp/B013RM0W9Q

My gift to you to help shake off your winter doldrums. Happy New Year!


7 comments:

  1. such a fun happening with the song and hip swing.
    a jolly little piece of art came from it.
    Congratulations on your publishing a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, beautiful flowers, and thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bee bopping here along with your story. I love when things like that happen. And your drawing is just so HAPPY. Here's to sunshine! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. that paint store encounter!! so sweet, so uplifting. :-))) n♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so charming Sue, and so generous to offer your book. Congratulations on the book, by the way. Such a wonderful accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read your book, and I will re-read and re-read. Just what I needed to hear. Wabi-sabi, indeed! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehee. That makes me smile and snip my fingers! ;-)

    ReplyDelete